The busy Holiday shopping season is here. The shopping centres, streets and outlet malls are bustling with people. Everyone is thinking of getting and giving gifts, attending parties and having a great holiday. However, these are the perfect conditions for thieves to take advantage. Vehicle break ins go up dramatically over the Holidays.
A few things to remember when you are out shopping:
- Park in a sensible place, avoiding unlit areas at night.
- Remove the ignition key and activate the steering lock.
- Lock your doors and close all windows.
- Hide your valuables out of sight or take them with you.
- All parcels and shopping bags should be locked in the trunk.
- Many of the newer cars have trunk releases. Lock the truck release when you park your car.
- Take extra keys out of your vehicle.
Common items stolen from vehicles:
- Radar Detectors
- Shopping Packages
- Compact Discs
- MP3 Players
- Personal Documents
It’s easy to help protect your valuables with a few simple precautions. Take the time and help ensure a holiday without tragic surprises and regrets.
(list courtesy of IBC.ca)